Information, Tools, and Resources
What Is Student-Centered Coaching?
Student-Centered Coaching is a coaching model developed by Diane Sweeney as a way to "put students' needs front and center", Bringing both formative assessment and the Iowa Core Standards to the forefront, Student-Centered Coaching promotes a partnership between teacher leaders and teachers to (1) understand where students currently are in their learning, (2) establish a clear vision for where they need to be, and (3) develop a path to get them there.
Seven Components of Student-Centered Coaching:
- Organizing coaching through cycles
- Setting goals for student learning
- Using standards-based learning targets
- Using student evidence to co-plan
- Co-teaching to refine teaching practice
- Measuring the impact of coaching on student and teacher learning
- Partnering with the school leader
Introduction to Student-Centered Coaching